Actually, I already stripped my camera apart to make sure I could do it before ordering the LCD on Monday. Pretty straightforward stuff. But I'm glad that you have those photos up just in case I need a reference.

Regarding what happened: I've got a pretty good idea, but the thing is, I can tell from the fracture that it was stresses on the casing, and not an impact on the LCD itself, that caused the break. The fracture originated at the corner of the point next to where the ribbon cable tucks beneath the LCD. It was clearly the aluminum LCD frame pressing against the LCD glass that caused it. The origin point of the fracture isn't even visible from outside the camera.

Anyway, it happened at the same time I dropped my empeg case (the camera lives in the side pocket) and caused the hairline fracture in my empeg's VFD glass, that I mentioned in another thread. Thankfully, the empeg VFD is still working. The case hit in a completely different spot than where the camera lives, but I guess it was the sudden G forces that caused the stress on the casing that snapped the glass.

Oh, also, I find it amusing that the LCD in the camera is a Sony part.