Quote:
If you were to call Canon Tech Support and hopefully get a technician on the line then maybe they could point out something that you might have missed.

I called, of course. They were very nice, but said a) he couldn't think of anything I might have missed, and b) wasn't supposed to be offering that kind of support anyway.

Quote:
On mine if I hold the Set button while powering on the camera the screen lights up and shows the time. Did yours ever do that?

Yup, mine did that. Tried it. No joy. Tried every combination of pressing and holding keys I could think of. No joy.

Quote:
Maybe a firmware flash might fix it...

Or some kind of an internal reset. If only I knew how.

Quote:
Perhaps the new LCD is DOA? What about fitting the old one back again to see if the camera behaves differently?

Good suggestion. It was among the first things I tried. The old LCD does not work and the camera does not boot with the old LCD in place, either. Oddly, the camera worked with the old LCD in place before I dismantled the camera and replaced the LCD. Now the camera does not work at all, regardless of which LCD I fit.

Quote:
The very tip should be inserted into the "socket" deeply enough that the wider portion is pressed right up against the "socket." Physically, it cannot be inserted more deeply.

Yes, I saw this page, and I have seated and reseated that cable multiple times and I'm sure I've done it right.

I'll check those other links you sent and see if they have additional information that I've missed. Thanks for looking up those links.