Originally Posted By: Dignan
And while I'm on that, what the hell is the deal with that? I live in a metropolitan area with TWO IMAX theaters, and neither is showing Avatar at all, let alone in 3D.

That's OK: IMax uses the old school linear polarization method of 3D, so you didn't miss much.

Quote:
And to those of you who saw the film in the same theater type I did, did the movie appear to be projected a tad dimly?

That depends. Did your theater use the "Real D" logo? When I saw it, the screen was just as bright as any other movie. With the glasses on. My understanding is that theaters are supposed to upgrade their projectors and screens for a brighter presentation for this. It's possible that you ended up in a theater which hadn't. Or perhaps you were in a theater which was not using the Real D projection system.

Quote:
The entire time I watched the film, my eyes were not happy with me. I could definitely see issues between the glasses and the projected image. Hard to describe, but issues. The biggest issue with the 3D was that my wife and I had had to strain so hard to see the image properly, and afterward, we had the worst headaches, ones that seemed focused entirely behind our eyeballs. Ugh. No thanks.

And that is why 3D will never be anything more than just a gimmick. At least not with current technologies. A very significant portion of the population has the problems you do, or worse. When we saw Avatar, we saw it with a large group of people, and one member of the group elected to stay home: On a good day, she has depth perception issues with her normal vision anyway, and 3D movies are just torture for her.

Even with the latest Real D technology that uses circular polarization glasses, which is about as good as you're gonna get, it's still an annoying technology that causes eyestrain and headaches, and alienates everyone who doesn't happen to be wearing their contact lenses on movie night.

Quote:
All I know is that I'm going to have to see an EXTREMELY convincing display of home theater 3D before I buy into the whole idea.

I was disappointed to find out the the current push of 3D television technology is worse. They use the flickery electronic LCD shutter glasses. That's just unacceptable to me. You know how bad it hurts to look at a flickery CRT at 60 hz? Now imagine that, but at an even lower flicker speed, and a separate flicker pattern for each eye. No thanks.