Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I'l say that while watching it, I never once thought, "wow, what a technical achievement."

Well that's where we differ once more. That's all I thought for about half the movie.

Quote:
That's an insult, the movie was much better than Titanic, IMO - in every way.

Heh, and you'll never win me over with that argument. I thought Titanic was alright, but I thought that was by far the least deserving movie that year, from the given nominees, to win best picture. Just look at the others:

As Good as It Gets
The Full Monty [I admit, I haven't seen this one]
Good Will Hunting
L.A. Confidential

Of the three of those I saw, I consider them all to be much better movies than Titanic.

In fact, thanks for bringing up Titanic. I actually feel about Avatar a lot like I did about that movie. The characters are all written and played out the same way. I never really know these people. They seem sort of distant to me. I don't connect with them like real people.

Ah, whatever, it's subjective anyway. You liked Avatar, I'm happy. I haven't even seen The Hurt Locker yet. I wasn't arguing for that winning, I was just saying that Avatar wasn't my favorite movie I saw last year. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.