Originally Posted By: Dignan
I suppose you could give it higher priority in the task manager. Or you could just turn off auto-running programs like that. I mean, how many programs other than Windows Update or an antivirus do you have that run things automatically.

You would be amazed at how much stuff runs in background that you don't know about. See the attached screenshot.

AVG is not the problem. With a little help from their excellent tech support (they actually made an appointment and called me) I now turn off certain elements of AVG while Tunebite is running. This increased the number of streams I can transcode simultaneously without corruption (assuming no surprise applications start up in background!) by 25%.

Increasing priority might help, although having to manually set the priority every time I run the program will be a bit inconvenient. If Tunebite is running with Realtime priority, what happens when other scheduled tasks are started? Do they then receive so little CPU and memory resources that they have no effect on Tunebite? All it takes is one spike kicking the CPU up to 100%, or maybe going from RAM to pagefile, and I've got a dozen corrupted output files.

Bitt is right, though, I can't turn off the multitasking and hope the computer will continue to work. I guess I'll just have to keep walking that fine line between 90% CPU usage and file corruption. When I'm running more than about 12 streams at once I'll increase the priority, turn off AVG, and see what happens.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
TaskScheduler.jpg