Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
In many ways, that's the safe road, but I think it's important that you tell people this story. Tell them about your disillusionment, and why. That you feel like politicians are using your faith as a tool to manipulate you. Give examples. Wake up your fellow Christians to your realization. Not in an effort to persuade them to vote non-Republican, but in an effort to get them to actually think about their voting choice, instead of voting purely out of religious ideals.

I DO have these conversations when the conversation leads to it naturally, but that's generally in smaller situations than I was referring to above. People who get to know me well get the full on spiel of everything that I think is wrong in the world, whether with politics, the church, the American mentality, or whatever smile I like to talk- as I'm sure you are all aware!

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
And don't forget, instead of not voting, try voting for a third party. It isn't (currently) going to change the outcome of D vs. R, but increased third-party votes leads to increased third-party funding, which will hopefully at some point lead to third-party relevancy and a break from D vs. R.

I guess my problem is I think the system itself is broken- we reward people for being good politicians, not good leaders, and I don't think another party will fix that. Actually, I have no idea how to fix that.

Besides that, you don't really want to see what my ideal candidate would look like (and probably few would). I'm certain he or she would be ultra right wing in some respects and very moderate or even liberal in others. Definitely unelectable. laugh