Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I think that Ringer was trying to use those cuts to make the audience feel the disorientation of the character. I don't know that it worked, but it's trying very hard to be noir, and that feels like a noir trope, whether or not it actually is.

Now that you say that I guess I can kind of see it, but on the other hand perhaps you're giving them too much credit? smile I think I just felt that considering it was the scene that sets up the entire series, they seemed to handle it so oddly and it was over before I knew what the deal was.

I think the second episode has more to support my theory that it's just bad editing:
Click to reveal..
So she has this body at the loft and she's going back before the event planner and his crew finds it. We see her get to the loft and get everybody out. We also see her look at what we assume was the body, but for some reason it's been moved to a corner somewhere. Apparently nobody noticed they were moving a hastily-covered body. We then see her looking at a trunk.

The problem is that's the end of the scene. We don't know that she put the body in the trunk, so it's not until the party later when she freaks out about people getting near it that the body is in there. I still wasn't sure if it was.

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Also, we're never clear on if she even cleaned up that blood on the floor. It certainly looked like she wasn't getting anywhere with it, and that she decided to skip town before she finished. So where did it go?

It's all just really sloppy.

Quote:
That said, could the greenscreen speedboat scene have been produced any more laughably?

Oh wow, that was terrible. Everything had this blurry edge around it. It's like the SFX people had their minds blown when they had to combine a fake background AND having two SMG's on screen at the same time. I'm sure it's not easy, but it looked awful smile