Originally Posted By: DWallach
Higher paid jobs attract better employees who actually care.

But with a minimum wage, either everyone's pay will go up, meaning more cost to you; or there'll be no differential between low and high pay: the lazy people won't work any harder, and the hard-working people will probably become lazy.

Quote:
I suppose the core question is whether a higher minimum wage will have an impact on the people-who-don't-care. Perhaps they'll be less likely to work 60+ hours a week, to make ends meet, and will instead work less and put more effort into it.

I doubt that. They can already earn more by doing a better job. Paying them more for doing the same job isn't going to encourage them to step up.

Quote:
...replacement of supermarket checkout people with automated self-checkout systems... I'd rather have more employees around the store

And you really think this'll happen? They'll just have the same number of staff on the floor, and fewer at the checkout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the liberal (small-L) around here, but I believe that arguing for minimum wage on some kind of financial basis is nonsense. Do it because you believe that people deserve to survive, not because you think it'll improve service in your local supermarket chain.