Originally Posted By: Redrum
You can cite whatever you'd like but doubling the minimum wage in my state will cause employers to try to mitigate their losses by reducing their workforce where possible. When prices rise demand lowers. I'm no economics expert but that is fact.

History is also not on your side with that comment, in regards to a big American corporate success story in the early 20th century. Henry Ford was a strong believer in welfare capitalism. His action of doubling the minimum pay of his employees led to more profit for Ford, a better workforce for the company, and an economic boom felt throughout the entire region.

Originally Posted By: Redrum
It will also produce the "why F'in try" attitude in workers that have risen up the pay ladder by hard work to just have their hard work mean nothing when the next loser in the door will be making as much as they are. I have a friend in that exact situation now and he is pissed, fact.

I can see your friends point, but I think his anger is probably directed at the wrong place if he's aiming it at the incoming person. It's his responsibility to negotiate a reasonable wage for his job, and to only accept if he finds the companies counteroffers reasonable. Along with also ensuring his raises are at least keeping up with the rate of inflation and higher productivity. If someone coming in the door does a better job of negotiating their pay, it's not their fault for your friends situation. I've personally had to jump ship once due to a pay freeze that hindered my ability to keep my salary where I thought it should be. It kinda sucked at the time, but it led to a much better position later.

The fast food movement is an organized attempt by people in a position just like your friend. They are directing their anger towards trying to correct the situation, at least as far as they see it. That seems more productive to me then stewing in anger and letting it reduce your work output.