- Nexus 5X and 6P. The former is the logical replacement for the old Nexus 5. The latter is the logical replacement of the Nexus 6. Both have a fingerprint sensor on the back. Both have allegedly high quality cameras and USB-C charging. The 5X, made by LG, is plastic bodied, just like the previous 5, and is meant to come in at a reasonable price. The 6P, made by Huawei, is metal bodied and is meant to go head-to-head with other high-end "phablet" phones like the iPhone 6 Plus. The only feature that seems to be gone, relative to older Nexus phones, is the deletion of wireless charging. That kinda sucks, but the fast-charging aspect should be a winner.

I've already ordered myself a Nexus 5S. It will be here in a few weeks. I hope, since my older Nexus 5 is experiencing intermittent problems that might well be hardware failures.

- New Chromecast. Still a cute little cheap stick-shaped thing, but now the HDMI connector is hanging off a three inch cable, so it's easier to shoehorn in tight quarters. Also, it's got better WiFi (802.11ac) and it supports 1080p (versus 720p in the old one). There's also a new "Chromecast Audio" that just has a headphone jack. Google has said that they're supporting multiroom streaming now. If this actually works, then it's Sonos-on-the-cheap, which is fantastic. I might consider something like putting some bookshelf speakers, a cheap class-D stereo amp, and a Chromecast Audio in our dining room on a side table so we could have dinner music. (Kinda too bad they didn't do an integrated version and resurrect the Nexus Q.)

- New "Pixel C" - a 10" Android tablet with a magnetically attaching keyboard. If you like the 10" tablet segment, this seems neat. Among other things, the tablet can inductively charge the keyboard, which then speaks to it via Bluetooth. Note that while they use the "Pixel" name, this isn't a Chromebook. It's an Android tablet. Also with USB-C.

Food for thought:

So now my transition to USB-C begins. I'll get one charger with the new phone, but right now I've got Micro-USB chargers everywhere. Car. Work. Home upstairs. Home downstairs. Everywhere.

Monoprice wants a remarkably high $25 for a proper 3-foot USB-C cable that supports the full USB 3.1 high speed spec. Google offers one for $20, but it only does USB 2.0 data transfer speed. Perhaps more importantly, Google offers a USB-A to USB-C cable, such as you might connect to your computer or any of your other charging accessories. That's only $12.99 but, again, only USB 2.0 speeds.

So, yeah, I'm probably going to hold off a few months until the inevitable deluge of USB-C chargers, batteries, cables, and such all slam into the marketplace.