I got my phone today, took it to TMobile to get a new nano SIM, and now I'm all set up!

I really like the 5X. The screen is actually a good deal larger than the 5, which was unexpected but nice. The 5X is quite a lot taller than the 5, but that's a dimension I don't mind. It's only a little wider and I think it's slightly thinner. They weigh the same.

So far, it seems a little faster, but I don't know how much of that is the new phone effect and the fact that I haven't loaded it up with as many apps as I had on my 5. I decided to take this opportunity for an "app audit" of sorts, and I think I removed about half of what I had. There was a ton of junk I didn't need or use anymore.

The giant advantages over the 5 are clear: the camera and the fingerprint sensor. I'm getting much better photos with this thing, and the camera app has some big improvements over the old one (I like swiping between photo and video modes). The fingerprint sensor is long overdue, and is finally a feature that iPhone users can point to and say "haha we've had that for years." I'm loving it, especially because the sensor on the phone can wake and unlock the phone at the same time. There's no button to be pressed. I've already set up Lastpass to use my fingerprint instead of a code, so it's even easier to log into every app on my phone.

I'm definitely going to need more USB C stuff. I'm also a little disappointed in Google for shipping such a short cable with this thing. It's only about 3 feet, and it's not going to be enough to route through my nightstand's wire management system, which hasn't been a problem for the charging cable of the last 5 devices I've kept on that stand (Nexus 4/5/6/7 and Moto 360). All have come with far longer cables. Considering how few of these cables exist in people's homes today (this is my first one and probably will be for most Nexus 5X/6P users), it's annoying that they didn't put a 6ft cable in there.

I definitely hope that USB C takes on quickly. I had just reached travel charging nirvana with these wonderful chargers replacing every single adapter in my travel bag. I was able to charge every device that my wife and I brought with us at the same time from one charger (I actually got a second one so she could have one by her hotel nightstand too). Now I'll be headed to California on Friday with one of those multichargers and this other USB C adapter in my bag. I just know that it's going to be years until I replace all my micro USB stuff with USB C gear, and hopefully by that time they'll have a multi charger like that one on the market.

*edit*
To be clear, I know I can get an A to C cable and still have my single charger, but then I'm charging slowly, and we can't have that! Except that we can, because I usually only charge my phone at night anyway... Still, it's the principal of the thing smile Anyway, I do have an A to C cable arriving tomorrow so I'll decide whether I only bring that or if I bring the official charger with me on the trip. Dan, do you know if this no-name cable will work for me? That's the one I ordered. I should have checked with you first to see what you were getting...

Edited by Dignan (22/10/2015 01:42)