I did a search for news and updates on the USB-C thing, since I'll soon need to order all this gear.

First, here's a detailed rant about Qualcomm QuickCharge vs. USB-C. The author grumbles that the new Nexus phones don't just support QuickCharge to make the transition smoother. I guess Google has decided to take a page out of Apple's playbook and obsolete the older stuff as soon as possible to hasten the adoption of the newer stuff.

Also, Google has confirmed that the Nexus 5X comes with a USB-C-to-USB-C charging cable that connects to an offboard charger, which is then not the same as any of the charging accessories Google offers for sale. I find this curious since this is fundamentally a more expensive proposition (assuming, for the sake of discussion, that USB-C connectors cost real money whereas a hardwired cable to the charger costs nothing). Many commenters are screaming that they're not giving you a USB-A-to-USB-C cable, as you might use to draw power from millions of other things in the world. Of course, that cable isn't particularly expensive. Again, Google seems to be taking the "obsolete the old and hasten the new" approach.