Originally Posted By: mlord
I did finally get hdparm onto my Android handset (1+1), and it claims read speeds in excess of 160Mbyte/sec fom the internal flash, way beyond USB2. Now if only the write speeds were in the same ballpark.

It will get there in all tiers quickly looking at how adoption of better flash and controllers is going across the industry.

Been following the NVMe news? Good to see a new approach taken to get beyond the bottlenecks seen in AHCI when used in the SSD space. AHCI was a pretty forward looking spec, it's impressive to see how quickly things are progressing to need a replacement now.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Flash is rapidly getting to the point that you could just treat it as physical RAM and run programs directly from it, assuming the hardware is set up right to have the Flash chips on the memory bus. The MRAM people claim that they'll eventually obsolete both Flash and DRAM, so we'll eventually get there, one way or another.

I wonder what impact this will have on overall application design. So much time seems to be spent across the computing stack managing caches and other tricks to deal with speed bottlenecks somewhere.