Well, I've got it working, let me see if I can help out.

1) get the file from tony's page.

2) ftp the file to your empeg use an ftp program or typing the follwing at a prompt:

cd downloads (change to the directory that your emptriv.tar.gz file is)
ftp 192.168.0.5 (or whatever)
(push enter until you ger a prompt)
site rwm (set the music drives read-write)
cd /drive0 (questions are pretty big, so put on music drive)
mkdir files (or whatever you want to call this
cd files
mkdir emptriv
cd emptriv
put emptriv-0.92.tar.gz (transfer file)

3) get at a shell prompt using hyperterminal or similar program as described in the FAQ

rwm (just incase the ftp undid this)
cd /drive0/files/emptriv (change to directory)
tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz (z uncompresses and x untars)
chmod 755 emptriv (give executable permissions)
rm emptriv-0.92.tar.gz (if you want you could also remove the .c source and the Makefile)

4) now you can run it from hyperterminal with "./emptriv" in that directory. It should load up.

5) "exit" to start up the player.

6) emptriv will now be in the hijack menu!

Please post if you have more specific problems. The only problem with this set up is that emptriv must be manually started from the prompt every time. You could attach it to your init using Frank's modified init but that makes it start every time. I could post an easy how to on that as well if you want. You could also put the picker on your init like tony does to choose whether to start on every boot, but that's complex and lengthens the boot every time. What we really need is an easy way to start and stop programs from within hijack while the player is running. Something tells me you'll see something like this in the next few days (hint, hint).

John

Edited by johnmcd3 (30/05/2002 05:23)