I swear to you that Orbitz showed me a round-trip flight from RDU to AMS via JFK for July 3, returning July 10, for less than $400. Now it only shows flights nearing to over to well over $1000.

hmm, <$400 seems pretty low for summer travel to europe, unless it's a really unpopular route at off-peak times. this far in advance, i wouldn't expect to see that kind of discounting.

there is a major sale fare being announced tomorrow, but it's for spring travel (through april 30 for transatlantic flights). example: NYC-AMS for $244 round-trip.

orbitz gets the best fares available from most major airlines -- it's in our contracts. we often get access to fares that the airlines themselves don't offer on their own sites. i just booked a flight today from chicago to anchorage in july. the orbitz price was $443, and the same flight on the airline's own site was $667.

you have to be careful when you shop for travel these days, whether on the internet or from a travel agent. if you find a particularly good fare, check to see if there are any strings attached (details of the fare rules, can it be changed, is it a consolidator fare, does it qualify to earn miles, etc), and check the commission/fee structure of the agent as well. orbitz always sells regular inventory, same as you'd find elsewhere, but often at much more attractive prices.

--dan.