I don't see how the Patriot Act, if used the way it's writen would infringe on my civil rights.

While I don't know the act myself, there have been current affairs items on it over here. It seems to spell out the right for authorities to detain you for many hours, without arrest, for even a suspicion that you might be doing something illegal.

I, and many others, have issue with the 'illegal combatants' being held in a military area in a part of the world where there are no legal rights nor access. The point that Sen. Bob Brown was making was that if these people have done something wrong, arrest them or at least declare them prisoners of war. At that point, they have the right to be deported back here, and that's what we want.
The arrogance that US forces hide behind the 'letter of the law', especially when it suits them, is not lost in the news over here.

I heard an interview with the Senator this morning, and he did talk with Bush before he left the chamber. But he brought attention to the issue by speaking out of order which took real guts.

A public hearing would reveal tactics and sources.

The call is not for a public hearing, just for legal rights of the prisoners.

It is really scary how little the US public knows about international events (present company excepted).
This cracked my up when it aired last night
http://www.abc.net.au/cnnnn/news/s971880.htm