Unfortunately yes, those in power often do make mistakes. Such is the danger of living in the spotlight. I often make mistakes. The trick is, if I get the wrong type of creamer, the wife gets mad for a few minutes, and life goes on. When there is great power, the decisions that have to be made carry much greater responsibility. Sometimes the correct course of action is one that is unpleasant. For example, dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were terrible decicions, but may well have been the correct one. Who knows how many people would have been lost if WW2 had dragged on for two or even twenty more years? Yes, it cost lives. Even those of innocents. But how are lives to be measured? By the sheer quantity? Quality? Innocence? The one thing that I do know is that I do not know. As such I am glad not to have the terrible burden of responsibility. I couldn't even begin to understand how difficult it is to make decisions on things as benign as balancing the budget. What is worth more, healthcare for the elderly, welfare for those in need, education, defense, roads, infrastructure? I'm sure there is gross waste in some parts of government, but how can one tell by looking at a giant spreadsheet?

I know I'm ranting a bit, but it seems awfully easy for people to tear down those in power when that's an awfully easy thing to do from the comfort of your living room. It's exceedingly easy to coach a football game the night after it's been played. Unfortunately, it isn't so easy when you're sitting in the hot seat and everyone is gunning for you.