I have to say, if I were and atheist (and I don't say any of this to put anyone down), I think I'd probably have to reject the notion of morals all together as empty and meaningless.
This is terribly offensive.

You're implying that because I don't believe in God, Allah, or whoever that my life is meaningless and that I cannot hold any moral values without relating them to some supreme being. This seems to be a viewpoint held by a lot of religious (and ``religious'') people, and it is just wrong.

Just because I don't believe in God (and let me just abbreviate to God -- no offense intended to any non-Judeo-Christians reading this) doesn't mean that I don't hold certain values as sacred. The most important moral rule to me is the Golden Rule. Or the Hippocratic Oath. Or whatever version of it you want to recite. The fact that many different cultures with different religions have come up with the same ideas implies the existence of morals that are set in humanity, not in some external force. So the idea that because I don't believe in God puts me on the same level as a sociopath is offensive.

I also find it offensive for the religious folks, as it also implies that the only reason you're following this moral code is to gain a reward or avoid a penalty. After all, if the morals are absolute as defined by God, then God made them up arbitrarily. The idea that your existence is ruled by another is as offensive as slavery, even if it is a chosen slavery.