Quote:
but what I am trying to say is that, just as we are seeing within the Middle East, much of Southest Asia and now within our own country, we have a clash of world views, of perceptions of civilizations, if you will. What has been the outcome of such clashes? The most divisive conflict in our own history was a bit more than 125 years ago, and the wounds haven't entirely healed yet. While not aspiring to become Cassandra, I am asking that we all look at where we're heading and what we can do about it--because to use the politicians' rhetoric, this is a defining moment in our history, both as a country and within the increasingly interconnected context of the rest of the world. (Whew, a rant first thing in the morning..!.. on weekends I'm a night owl).

Yo, Kayak,

I appreciate your comments. As you say, I think that there are a number of other perspectives from which the current unhappy circumstance can be viewed. I just happened to be in a domestically unhappy mood as I rolled out of bed this AM. Perspective-wise, the situation in the Middle East is right up there, and one where religious aspects of 2.5-issue political opinion have a huge impact. I mean, somebody look at this and even *begin* to tell me how some of this discussion makes sense. (Hmmmm, if the Middle East evaporates in a mushroom cloud, is this *not* good with respect to our salvation and the rebuilding of the Temple???) So, you have rapture-bound folks (dare I say wackos?) like General Boykin driving our political and military policy.

Bah. I don't want to go on.

But I trust that when Arafat dies, our current administration will continue its unceasing efforts to make sure that peace finally comes to the Middle East...whether anybody is left alive there or not.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.