Quote:
The problem is, many people with those same beliefs are of the opinion that the only people who should have the right to exercise their opinions are straight, conservative and pro-life.

I do not agree with those people, but I respect their right to have an opinion that is different than mine. I do not believe that people who hold such a hard-line conservative stance will ever gain a majority. I've stated before I feel that most people in the US tend toward the middle of the road (where I am) and not extreme left OR right. These are the more or less silent majority, you do not hear from them often since they are not newspaper editors or religous crusaders.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, plenty of people on both side seem to not give a damn if the other side has a right to exercise their opinion.

Agreed!

Quote:
Be pro-life. But don't tell people that have to be. Be straight, but don't tell people they have to be (or try to force them to by denying their rights). Be conservative, but don't tell people they have to be.

Just for the record, I would like to state what I believe here so there is no confusion. I feel that this may help people see where I am coming from and clear up points I have made in other posts. I will address the main issues we seem to re-hash on this board:

I am a Christian, not affilliated with any church or religion. I think of the church as other people like me who have faith, not some bloated ceramonial organization that has to take money from it's congregation to pay for a building and fuel to heat it. Many things that bother most people about religion also bother me. I do not think that religion the way it is today was the way it was intended to be by God.

I am straight (married and have a kid as evidence). I do not oppose gay marriage. I do not support gay marriage. I actually did not vote on that issue in Ohio in this election, because I could not do so either way honestly. I have gay friends and co-workers, some that are in long-term relationships that they would wish to become permanant. If a gay civil union issue was on the ballot, I would vote in favor of allowing gay civil unions. I do not support gay marriage because "marriage" in my eyes is intended for a special relationship between my wife and I. I did not vote for the ban because I am against any more governmental restrictions on our lives.

I am pro-life. My son was born a year and a half ago, but 3-4 months into the pregnancy I could see his fingers, toes and eyes. How anyone can say that he is not alive then is well beyond me. I feel people have the right to make a bad decision, but I feel that this is one of the worst decisions you could make.

I am a moderate conservative. I believe in personal responsibility. If you mess up, it's your own fault. I do not like my tax dollars going towards social programs that are ineffective or inefficient. I do not believe it is the government's job to take my money and give it to someone else. My tax dollars should be used to improve me and my family's quality of life, I should not be forced to give to what is basically charity. I can do that just fine on my own.