Quote:
Do people honestly believe it was only those 2.5 issues that swayed voters? Are those seen as the biggest contributors to the votes or what? Basically, I'm confused why I see people (on this forum and on our internal Usenet server at work) think that the GGG (to quote somebody from a different thread) were the only reasons somebody would vote for Bush.

I chalk it up as an inability to see another viewpoint. Sometimes those who often accuse conservatives of being closed minded and inflexible cannot be open minded enough themselves to see why a conservative believes and votes the way they do. I see a lot of people baffled as to why Dubya won. Because they believe that any intelligent person would not vote for Bush, they feel it is safe to assume that all who voted for him are dumb, ignorant rednecks who have been tricked. They cannot believe that voters look at each candidate critically and decide for themselves who would be the best leader.

I see narrow viewpoints from "Look at me, I'm open-minded!" people just as much as conservatives. If I am gay, liberal and pro-choice, I am entitled to my opinion. If I am straight, conservative and pro-life, my opinions make me narrow minded, regardless of how much thought I have put into them. What most people do not realize is that both points of view are entirely valid, it is how you act upon them that is key.