Dollhouse Season 1 didn't work for me. It would have been good if they'd gotten into the creepier future world a whole lot earlier, and they might have stuck around more than two seasons.

Meanwhile, I just watched the first episode of Top Gear USA (airing on the History Channel, of all places, but at least I get it in HD). Not impressed. Okay, a Cobra helicopter versus a Dodge Viper was pretty cool and was exactly the sort of over-the-top military -vs.- car episode that they would have done with Jeremy Clarkson, but... well these hosts aren't anywhere close to the measure of the British hosts.

The Star in a Reasonably Price Car (oh, sorry, Big Star/Small Car) was Buzz Aldrin, who would have made for excellent material had he been interviewed by Clarkson (or even better, by James May who did that whole James May in Space show for the BBC). They basically asked him about his old cars and showed his lap. Sigh.

When they introduced the Stig, they didn't have any of the humorous elements. Or, even more broadly, this show just didn't have the humor. It also was far to much fawning on the cars. I watched back-to-back the latest Top Gear UK with the review of the Ferrari 458 (wherein Jezza explains that it's impossible to operate the steering-wheel mounted controls) versus the USA version, wherein the best complaint they can muster about a Lamborghini is that a cup-holder will set you back $650.

Sigh.