Originally Posted By: Dignan
But then we see the officer wandering the streets, apparently collecting stuff for his new abode. This appears to consist of random computer equipment, generators, and other things that no homeless person with zero cash could possibly cobble together.

I haven't seen the episode, but this still sounds within the realm of suspension of disbelief. As a student, I managed to find myself (on more than one occasion) in the dumpster outside the university warehouse, amid very interesting stuff, including a working centrifuge, for example. Apparently, dumpster diving around MIT is even better. For a long time, I upgraded my computers by taking the cast-offs people were leaving at the side of the road on garbage night -- I was happily running linux in text mode at the time, so I didn't need the latest fancy hardware. I've also known of people who got drunk, stole stuff from a construction sites (such as a generator), got tired of (or thought better of) carrying the stuff home, and left it at the side of the road. Things also do legitimately fall off the back of trucks -- my first two digital cameras were found (one in a gutter, one on a highway). Having zero cash isn't necessarily the show stopper you make it out to be.