I don't think Google's chances in TV are as good as Apple's and Microsoft's are now or ever were. And the only reason they even have an inkling of a chance is because it seems that Apple and MS have been all but disinterested in doing anything significant in that space.

The XBOX 360 is already the most widely used box for media streaming, yet MS barely pushes that aspect of the device.

AppleTV has been a hobby not because of its slow adoption, but because Apple have not put significant resources into developing nor maintaining it. I'll give you one word which will lay down the hammer: Apps.

If Apple opens iOS on AppleTV to its full suite of Apps and the app store, not only will that all but assure Google will never make it in TV, it will leave MS, Nintendo and Sony shaking in their boots. Honestly, if those three have not had AppleTV on their radar as a threat for some time, I'd really have to question their sanity.

I just read Engadget's run-down of the Google orb thing and it sounds as dumb-ass as I first anticipated. They say it can't play local content. All the press images show a bunch of huge cables sticking out the back - what's that about, analog video? 6 f*cking wires. Nice!

And the major point they're making, which is that it can play content from the cloud using an Android device as nothing but a remote can already be had with pretty much every other device on the market today, including an assortment of Roku boxes starting at $50.

Just another example of Google throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks - no focus, no attention to detail no basis in reality. Reminds me of their glasses actually.

Edited by hybrid8 (27/06/2012 20:54)