I bought my Nexus 7 mainly so I could have a proper play with Android, beyond the few minutes at a time of playing with other peoples phones. I am an iPhone and iPad owner.

The Nexus 7 is a good tablet and Android Jellybean is a good OS. Neither the hardware or the software however are as good as what Apple provides, in my opinion.

The Nexus 7 is amazingly well built and specced for the price, you'd happily imagine it cost 50% more than it did. It is fast and Android is now largely lag free (it still isn't a smooth as iOS, but it is a lot closer). The screen is good, but obviously a long way short of the iPad.

Some of the stuff that you can do on Android that you can't on iOS is great, the top one for me being widgets on the home screens.

There are problems though. The quality of apps available just doesn't compare to the iOS world, even where there is an app to match the iOS one, the quality almost always isn't as good.

The other problem for me is web browsing on sites with tightly packed links and buttons. The combination of the Nexus/Android/Chrome is just no where near as good as working out what you meant to click on as iOS. This is a pain in the arse on some sites, bbs forums in particular.

Because of this inaccurancy I repeatedly lock posts accidentally on another forum I admin. It has tightly packed links at the top of the page and time and again it picks the wrong link when I click.

Chrome has a loupe feature, where in some cases it decides that there are too many tap targets in an area and so when you tap it pops up a magnified view for you to click on. But when this loupe appears is pretty much random. I can click on the same tightly packed links 10 times in a row and about 2 times the loupe will appear.

iOS in comparison has an almost magical ability to work out which link you were fumbling for.

This isn't a problem of screen size by the way, the sites I've had problems with render at about the same physical size on the Nexus as they do on the iPhone.

One final problems is font rendering. Font rendering on Android generally seems a bit hit and miss. The fonts in the supplied books app are truly awful. Fonts in other apps are often slightly blurry or poorly aliased.

Chrome has further problems with fonts. It has a very odd idea of picking font sizes, with seemingly a random element thrown in ! You can be browsing a series of posts in a forum thread where the font size it picks for the body seems to change for every post frown

So in summary, good for the price. But if you can afford it and don't need the extra portability, get an iPad.