Originally Posted By: DWallach
The blowup of the amp stage shows a small TI chip and some capacitors. I can't read the part number but it could be something like this (here's TI's press release from last year).

This certainly isn't sold as an audiophile part, but until the audiophile measurement dudes start beating it up, we won't know for sure. Class D amps are often surprisingly good.

They're big fat inductors (you need these on class D output otherwise you'll be radiating a lot).

I don't get it either; the defence for the price appears to be "we're competing with Sonos", but to be honest just having a 12+12W amp internal does not make you a Sonos competitor. Being able to stream from multiple local and remote sources and have drop-dead simple networking would make you more like Sonos.

The other comparison would be the Rio Receiver smile

- Linux based (same as Q)
- Made in the americas (ok, Mexico) (kinda same as Q)
- Only streams content (same as Q)
- Great quality audio out (I actually think the Burr-Brown 1716's in the Rio are likely better sounding than the Q, but I can't prove that)
- 10-12W class D speaker amp built in (same as Q)

Of course, the Rio was launched over 10 years ago and only cost $249. You also didn't need a smartphone/tablet to control it, as it had a screen and a remote (and a volume control on the box!)

Hmm.