Originally Posted By: mlord
they're no longer #1 or #2 for smartphones. Apple is #2 in that category. But there are now more Android handsets out there than iOS ones, and about a million new Android devices are activated daily.

I'll point out the one other flaw in the numbers I'm seeing. Most comparison for the iOS side aren't actually for iOS. it's just for the iPhone. Apple also sells (quite successfully) a non phone device called an iPod Touch which does almost everything the iPhone does. As far as development is concerned, they are nearly identical.

And then to round out the "devices" definition, add in the iPad. Development here is a little different if you want to make a quality app, but the same also applies on the Android side.

Though to muddy the waters, it all depends on what #1 means. The marketshare numbers might be fuzzy, but it's clear that iOS leads in profit for the manufacturer. Nokia's #2 spot for all phones doesn't seem to be helping them much these days, where Apple's #2 spot in smartphones is assisting them greatly. iOS still also leads strongly in revenue for developers.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics smile

And now to muddy the market numbers even more, I'm buying a Nexus 7 to poke at. This will be my first pure Google Android experience. The Samsung Android experience I tried in the past was pretty bad, and pure Android also was kinda poor when it was running on my old iPhone and WebOS tablet.