The new Google tablet is by ASUS. Not sure why they didn't go elsewhere, but...

WRT to Kindle and Nook performance, take a look at this article from author Andrew Hyde: http://andrewhy.de/amazons-markup-of-digital-delivery-to-indie-authors-is-129000/

Sampling only his one title, Nook accounts for around 1% of sales. The article is mostly about how Amazon rips off authors however, not a study on market share. smile

The Kindle fire sells so well (relatively speaking) because it's a Kindle, not because it's an Android tablet. I don't think Google is going to sell many of these Nexus tablets by comparison, so I don't expect it to be any kind of challenger in terms of sales or market penetration.

Anyway, I've read through pretty much all the coverage of this Google event and I'm left with: "so what?" - all completely boring and irrelevant. It's either geek pipe-dream BS (Glasses) or something we've already seen in much better form from someone else. Android keeps getting better, but like iOS it's progressing an an insanely slow pace. They're still trying to do core/fundamental work Apple had accomplished prior to the iPhone release in 2007.

About the only thing I want to see from Google right now is what they've done with the IP/people they acquired from SageTV. The current GoogleTV products aren't at all interesting, so I'm eager to see if SageTV's PVR expertise is ever going to make it into something new. I can't think of another reason for the acquisition honestly.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/06/2012 12:47)