So, it's four years later than I was hoping, but I finally ordered an infrared grill that fits what I was looking for at a decent price point.

I went with the Saber SS-500. Saber is apparently a company that was spun-off from Char-Broil a couple years ago to sell their higher-end infrared grills, and I'm pretty impressed with the specs and reviews I've read so far.

The main selling points for me compared to other ones I looked at in previous years are the use of 304 stainless steel for almost the entire grill (including the cart) and the availability of a cheap and easy-to-install natural gas conversion kit. The one negative from one of the reviews is that the cart surfaces are a bit thin, but it's more important to me that they're rust-resistant than heavy-duty anyway.

I was a bit wary of going with a company that's only been around a couple of years, but the warranty seems pretty solid (limited lifetime on the steel, 10 years on most of the rest of it) and based on the comments here, it seems like some of the higher-end grills are just

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the best I'm going to find for $1400, so I gave it a shot. I'll try to post an update here with my impressions once I give it a test drive.