Doug, it's possible that the issue you're encountering isn't solvable because the program hasn't been updated for at least 6-7 years.

If your method of backing up is to simply copy newer files to another disk drive, I am wondering if another program might be helpful instead. I have been using "Beyond Compare" for this purpose for a long time. I maintain a few file locations for recent copies of all my data files and all my portable programs: extra disk drives plugged into USB, and also a file share on my NAS.

In the past, I had been using a simple batch file running Robocopy to duplicate things to these locations. But I found that Beyond Compare (with a little configuration tweaking) could do the same thing, but with the added benefit of giving me a clear picture of which files were being backed up which were new, which files were changed, and which files needed to be deleted (which show up as orphaned files on the destination folder). Additionally, it gave me a great deal of control over things like which folders got copied (I only copy certain folders, not the whole disk drive), which files to ignore (like mac .DS_Store files), and what comparison methods were used (datestamp fudge factors, ignore case options, byte-by-byte comparsion, etc.).

Though Beyond Compare is meant to be a programmer's comparison tool, with a little tweaking it happens to work great as a manager for a "direct file copy" backup system.

This also allows me to do things like keep the Video and Music folders on my NAS updated with the latest copies of songs and Rifftrax videos from my hard disk, and it's all done under one tabbed interface. Each tab lets me control a completely different set of folder backups, each with its own settings.

Though it requires some tweaking to set up, and some manual intervention for each backup, I like how I can choose what/when to back up and clearly see everything that's being changed.