Originally Posted By: Dignan
At the end of the day, I think you're still trying to force your previous way of doing things onto a new way of doing things, which doesn't usually work well...
But... but... but... it's different from what I'm used to, so it can't be any good!

I have five different CrashPlan archives on three different hard drives. Are you saying that the de-duplicating that CrashPlan does in any archive is independent of the other four archives, even though each archive has exactly the same filename, i.e., 791869747154424520? I guess that must be the case, otherwise my "M:\Disk 01" archive would be essentially empty as it contains an exact copy of my "E:\Disk 1" archive which is an exact copy of my D:\ disk drive. If it were de-duplicated based on what had been backed up to the E: archive, the M: archive wouldn't have anything in it because the entire M: archive is a duplicate of the E: archive.

It is curious that the M: archive is 56GB smaller than the E: archive, so there must have been some de-duplicating going on there.

Given the likely premise that you guys and the millions of other people happily using CrashPlan know more about this than I do, I'll hang in there with CrashPlan, as it does appear that I do indeed have multiple copies of my data saved so if something happens to one of the archives, I have the data in another one. Along with the original data, of course. At least no-one can accuse me of not being serious about backing up my data!

tanstaafl.