Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Shonky
Having a single clone copy to another identical disk provides only one backup in time. That may be acceptable to you though.
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but my idea of a clone copy of my system drive was so that in the event of failure, I would not have to go through the pain of reinstalling Windows and all my software. I keep just about all of my actual data on other drives, and even the data on the system drive is backed up by CrashPlan.

I envision recovery as putting in a new SSD, copying my clone over it, and then restoring from CrashPlan to restore any files that are new or changed since the clone was made.

Am I missing something here?

You have only one backup copy and no history if you just clone a copy of your system to another drive.

If you use a tool that images the drives you can have multiple aged copies of that system drive. If it's only a small SSD you could keep many on a large mechanical disk. That can very very up to date too - easily daily if you want.

If your system fails, you boot from a pre-prepard recovery CD or USB, pick the image from another disk and restore on to the SSD.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)