Your suggestion of wiring an amp to the speakers would still work. There's no way they're running optical to the speakers. :)

The empeg should be able to be hooked up as a preamp for the MB radio, using its speaker outputs (even if you have to fish them from elsewhere in the car with additional wiring) using a line-level converter.

That's true, and it certainly could be done. Choosing the correct set of leads might be fun, as there is 7 speaks, including the center channel. There is some digital processing done on it for driver's position and crap like that. Plus, I don't want to get into putting an amp and new system into this car though. It's not going to be nearly as easy to do as the old GS-R. And unfortunately, I'm getting lazy in my old (29 years) age.

More to the point, I'm looking for something that can pull quickly and easily if I move cars again. Getting the GS-R gear pulled and replaced was a b*tch, and it wasn't nearly as involved as this would be.

I just GOT TO get back to the Empeg... It's sitting on my desk at work... Watching the timeplot is just TOO cool... I NEED this in the MB...