None of my 2CVs had less than 200000km on odometer (before odometer stoped functioning ). I was generally replacing the whole car because that was cheaper than replacing rusted-through parts of chasis (not shell; you could drive without shell, as I did once while is was being resprayed). Today, 20 years after manufacturing ceased, spare parts are still being produced (see, for example, here or here. The car was widely used in Algeria (actually, sometimes in fifties there was a desert rally version with two 425ccm engines (one in trunk), each powering two wheels (I am not saying one axle each because the thing had independent suspension all around from day one)). You can think of it as original Willis for civilian use - simple, practical, cheap, undestuctible.

Ah, I found the picture of 'spare engine' (the 'regular' one is in front - the thing is normally front wheels driven):

Trabi would probably be faster in races, because its 2 stroke engine can be tuned up more easily. However, its durability was greatly impeded by the fact that plastic used for doors, trunk lid etc. was considered delicious by hogs (I am not inventing this).

Speaking of races, have you seen those Fiat 600 Abarths photographs I linked to? They were extremely popular among rookie drivers 20 or so years ago. They were mean little machines, similar to those Brits made our of Minis.

Edited by bonzi (28/12/2001 18:06)
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue