... because I doubt you could build a client application that could handle dynamically conneced SNMP traps. Not for a garage environment.

There is a standard for ECU data set by the SAE (US) called OBD II. This defines the exchange protocols, data types, and content messages for the data connector. Normally the data is sent "Read Only" and is diagnostic and performance related. However, there is also a "Read/Write" category which is supported by some car ECUs (similar to non-volatile "Mode Page" parameters used in SCSI devices) which allows a monitoring client computer to set permanent parameter values. Depending on how the individual ECU is designed, this could be (for example) used for tuning data, or ignition maps, or fuelling maps.

I think you may have read this post from me as I was waiting for Patrick's board here (unsubtle hint) before I did anything further. I am currently working on my own ECU for my Mini which a scratch CPU design based on a Motorola processor. Most of the peripheral bits are going to be BOSCH (ironic given what happened to the MIni brand ). My idea was to try and write my dataport to comply to OBD II and feed it into the serial port of the empeg while docked so that I could run a display terminal on the screen of the empeg without having to carry a portable computer around with me.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015