90% of the detectors are dummys ... I wouldn't want a detector in my car.

I have one of the 10% that are pretty smart, the best radar detector on the market IMHO: The Valentine One.

It can track up to eight different signals simultaneously, X Band, K Band, KA Band, Laser, or any combination thereof, and tell me which type of signal, how many of them there are, what direction each one coming from, and how far away each one is.

I routinely pick up radar signals that are around the corner, over the hill, and more than a mile away. My detecter is so good that when it signals, I don't slow down -- I evaluate the situation to decide whether I even need to be concerned.

The only risk I have from radar is the "Instant On" variety in which the policeman hides and only turns the unit on when the potential offender is within range. Where I live, most police cruise the highway with their radar units turned on all the time, so I know where they are while they are still a mile or more away.

Policemen aren't out to bugger you, they just want safe and coordinated traffic-infrastructure...

[Soapbox] Maybe where you live... in the U.S., speeding fines are a significant source of municipal revenue. The insurance companies love it because it is an easily quantifiable violation that allows them to justify rate increases. The American public has been brainwashed with the concept that "Speed Kills" for so long that few people even question the idea, even though a more apt motto might be "Speed Differentials Kill". If our police wanted a "safe and coordinated traffic-infrastructure" they would start writing tickets to people who drive in the left lane when not passing, and take serious measures to get the drunks off the road. (Last year a drunk driver killed a pedestrian in Anchorage -- the driver had had SIX previous DWI convictions.) [/Soapbox]

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"