Out of curiosity, in what way is it broken?

The proper way to do quotas is by directory. For instance: "Folder named F:\Foobar\Documents cannot exceed 200 megabytes. The following users are allowed to exceed this quota in an emegergency: Tony, Bitt, and Mark."

Windows 2000, on the other hand, has a completely and totally useless way of doing it, which is: "The user named Bitt cannot store more than 200 megabytes on this disk drive".

There is no option for granularity, and it doesn't let you control individual folders and network shares. So I can't, for example, take a 200gb RAID array that's mapped as a single drive letter, create multiple shares ("Programming", "Art Department", "Managers"), and manage the caps on those shares individually.

The whole point of quotas (for me) is to prevent a given network share from consuming an entire disk drive. In the example above, I would need to balance the caps on those shares so that the Managers don't fill up the drive, making Programming and Art Department run out of critical space. Microsoft's way of doing it is useless in this regard.