But why must there be a winner and a loser?

I can't understand why American sports can't accept the concept that when 2 teams are so equally matched, it is fair to share the points. Basketball in particular - so many games are decided arbitrairily during the dying seconds that it's crazy, and I don't believe that the division standings can be truly representative because of this.

Even during the playoffs where one team does have to win, it's not much better - the LA Lakers go to the NBA final, while Sacramento get Jack Sh*t. Yet, after 7 games (336 minutes) - , it came down to the final 30 seconds, when the teams were playing the clock, not each other. That's hardly fair. In that situation, where someone has to win, I'd rather see a sudden death overtime whereby the first team to take a 9 point lead wins.

I'm not a fan of penalty shoot-outs in football either. I'd rather see repeated extra-times (non-Golden-Goal) with a decrementing team count. (eg, 9-a-side for the first period, 7-a-side for the second, 5-a-side for the third), but only in competitions where it really mattered.

Anyway, any attempts to change league games to disallow draws would be vigorously opposed by Littlewoods Pools and gamblers