Hi genixia.

PS: My PC is copying about 80GB of data currently, at the unbelievably high data rate of approx. 0.6MByte/s, so it will be finished by, well, Tuesday morning or something like that. Sheesh, I knew Linux raid5 is slow on write operations, but _that_ slow?

Wow, that does sound slow, although I have no idea what numbers you should be getting..

But on my linux raid1 system, on a slow celery 500, a 2GB file just took 2.5 minutes to create, ie ~14MB/second, using approx 30% CPU. I know that calculating parity takes time, but 23 times longer???!

It seems like I had a problem with some interrupt-sharing between my secondary (dual channel) IDE controller card (which serves the raid and only the raid) and my graphics adapter. My Linux PC crashed (or hanged) about 5 minutes after I made that post. After switching the BIOS to _not_ assign an interrupt to my VGA, it is much quicker and seemingly also more stable.
At the moment, it is copying at approx. 3MB/sec while still resyncing the raid in the background (at 2.5M/sec). Those numbers really look much more sane.

Now my only problem left is that my second ethernet card stopped working last night, which forced me to do the bad thing to run my ADSL (pppoe) connection via the same NIC as my local LAN. Well, at least I now have enough disk space again.

cu,
sven