Don't bother detecting FF/REW. You're constantly playing catchup and as soon as someone decides to FF through 5 tracks at once, the game is over - the empeg grinds to a halt. It's even worse with RWD (I can kill emphatic..) It's probably better to watch the notify information to discover when the track changes, and to be a little late with the lyrics for the songs that have 'instant' lyrics. (How do you detect when the track changes usually?).

Okay, first, you didn't answer any of my other questions regarding ReserveCache... I think that might be your problem. Do you mean SKIP 5 tracks at once or FFWD through 5 tracks at once? Who fast forwards through 5 tracks? If you want to skip 5 tracks, you use the track skip, no?

Second, I AM using /proc/empeg_notify to detect track changes, and to tell track times. I'm only trapping the left/right buttons to detect rewinds and fast forwards. But I can't simply look at track times to know whether the user has fast-forwarded or rewound, I need to know that there's been an event (rewind/ff) and I need to re-calculate what line of the song I'm on, and when the next one is coming up.

These decisions were made for a reason, you know, I didn't just throw this thing together...

For what it's worth, this works fine on my player, and I've received no comments that peoples' players are grinding to a halt. Things *are* a little sluggish during the first few seconds of a track when it first tries to read the lyrics out of the ID3 tag, and as I've said, I'm going to look into an alternate ID3 library. But even with that, I'm not having any kind of behavior where my empeg grinds to a halt, and if I am, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm trapping the left/right buttons.

Folks, if you're seeing the same behavior, with your empeg grinding to a halt, please share your experience. And if you don't mind, check the value of ReserveCache in your config.ini (if present) and try again after adding ReserveCache=32 or ReserveCache=64. I'd like to know more about this supposed "grinding to a halt."

Edited by yn0t_ (12/02/2003 08:09)