I would like to be able to control a changer with the empeg...

Aren't most CD changer inputs proprietary? i.e., if you buy a Sony changer, you can only use a Sony head unit to control it? If this is true, how would the Empeg folks be able to make generic changer controller?

That said, Empeg has already mentioned an OEM project they did a while back which had a trunk-mounted Empeg which behaved like a CD changer and was controlled like one from a factory dash unit. So they do have a little experience with CD changer controls.

I would also like to see digital inputs implemented so that i could take advantage of the (is it) 18 bit dacs of the empeg instead of the dual 1 bits of most changers, and perhaps the dsp functions, etc...

Well, you don't need digital inputs to be able to take advantage of the Empeg's DSP. All of the DSP functions currently work with its Aux-in and its tuner. The DAC doesn't do much besides tone control, loudness, and equalization.

Also, you seem to be implying that a "1 bit dac" is somehow inferior to an "18 bit dac" just because the number is larger. I'm a little fuzzy on the technology, but as I understand it, you're comparing apples and oranges here- the 1-bit dac describes a technology that's used to extract the data from an audio CD and wouldn't apply to any sort of digital connection between a CD changer and another unit. Although the name makes it sound somehow antiquated, the 1-bit dac technology is (as I understand it) actually very advanced. I know that there's some folks on this BBS who've actually worked on this technology, and I know that there are dissertations on the web which describe its implementation. Does anyone want to hop in here and provide proper explanations or links?