Sancho, I think Tony missed the piece where you said:
In reply to:

it would take less effort on the part of developers for me to just use a changer with rca outputs and a wired remote, but then there is the nuisance of the added remote, the compromise of using the dual 1 bit dacs, and the aux inputs that i would be using for an in car entertainment/video system would be occupied...

You nailed a couple of points there that definitely can't be done using a second head unit. First, you don't want another head unit or remote or any sort of controller. Second, you're trying to keep the aux free for something else. Although I'm not clear on what you'd be using the aux for in an entertainment/video system, I do understand that you want to keep it free for something else. You wouldn't be able to do that if you had to hook something up to the aux, obviously.

I do have an idea, though. To get around the second controller issue, what about picking up a CD unit that uses an IR remote control compatible with the Empeg's, like Kenwood, hehe. You could hide just the eye somewhere away from the Empeg's and control both by just aiming it at a different area of the car. IR is very direct, so it shouldn't be too difficult to put the eye off to the side where the Empeg wouldn't pick it up. I do that at home with my two VCR's, which are right on top of each other. I just have to aim the remote at an extreme angle, toward the floor, so the top one doesn't pick it up. The other option is to try and find a small, programmable remote that can handle two different types of remotes and program it each unit. You could pick up a home entertainment center remote that'd control your Empeg, your CD unit, your entertainment/video equipment in your car, as well as in you home! One remote for everything. They're usually kinda big, though. Well... it's an option.

George