Sorry, I just don’t buy the “vigilante justice” argument. Taking the law into your own hands because the police aren’t available is different than willfully skirting the law in order to see your own brand of justice done. From what I can see this man didn’t hunt down these people and seek revenge: he tried to stop them at gunpoint from burglarizing his house.

From the original article:
“The parole board, however, has so far refused him early release - saying he has shown no remorse and would continue to pose a danger to any other burglars.”
Not if the burglars stop burglarizing. I simply don’t understand why this guy should feel sorry for trying to defend his property. Yes someone got killed, and that’s bound to happen when guns are in the mix. One solution is to ban the use of guns and peoples rights to defend themselves; another is to stop burglars. I’d opt for trying to stop burglars, and if a few get shot trying to steal things they haven’t earned from those who have, then I think we have to chalk that up to a necessary evil (My Texas roots showing up here).

Also from the original article:
"We don't have a death sentence for burglary in this country and we don't want one either."
Guns will always be in play, even if they aren’t in the hands of the common man: There is no law that is not enforced at some point by a gun. That doesn’t mean that every law carries a death sentence if broken, but when you resist hard enough eventually you will get shot.

Of course I don't live in England, so I really can't debate the law on this issue. I'm just stating my personal beliefs.