The man broke the law. So I suppose they have a legal right to keep him in jail. The problem is the law is bullshit. I admire the man. He has the character to not give in, and stand by what he did. It kind of reminds me of The Crucible.

We don't want burglars, and we don't want people getting shot. If everyone was armed, there would be no burglars and nobody would get shot. I don't have much remorse for a dead thief. It's been proven that areas with less restrictive guns laws have less crime and areas with more restrictive gun laws have more crime. And areas that previously had relatively low restrictions on guns and then started restricting gun use, had increases in crime, and vice versa. The bottom line is more guns in the hands of the common man equals less crime. It makes a criminal's job much harder.

If someone breaks into my house, he's either going to jail willfully, or one of us is gonna die. Contrary to what wfaulk said, if that happened in the US, he would not have gotten jail time. If a burglar is in your house, you have the right to kill him. And that's the way it should be. Wfaulk, if someone comes into your home, rapes your daughter and tries to kill you, what are you gonna do? Hide in the corner and cry? Call the police? Hell no. You need to find your balls and kill the son of a bitch before he kills you. I don't care if he's a crackhead just trying to steal my tv, it'll be the last time he breaks into my house, one way or another.

Guns in the hands of good citizens will keep the peace. Disarming men like Tony Martin will not solve crime. In fact, it will only proliferate it. And Britain won't solve their crime problem until they either realize this or start putting criminals in jail for good.