well.... I find it kind of disturbing the attitude of some here. Since when does the value of your TVset be equal to the value of any human life?
And that less restrictive Gun control lowers the crimerate is just bullshit. That perhaps may be the case in the states. But if you compare the homocide rate in "civilized" USA and the homocide rate in most of Europe you se a BIG difference!

I recently watched michael Moores "Bowling for Columbine" And he does have some points.. Allthough his approach is 'tacky'(?) or tasteless (?).. Allthough his point where Americans seems to take the law into their own hands and thinking it justified hit straight in the bullseye. And his statistics of homocides committed speaks for itself...

I think he really does have a point where he says that americans seems afraid.. Allthough I can see why.... Its a deeply rooted problem that wont be solved over night..

About the punishment vs rehabilitation prison issue, I think that society have alot to gain with the sentiment of rehabilitation. Less crime is committed, and the general attitude of the people is more humane.