In reply to:

right now we have something unique, and whether it's worth that much is a very individual decision

Indeed, and to me it is. To my cow-orkers it most definitely isn't.

In reply to:

My main issue with this review is that I believe the very low score was based almost entirely on the price My opinion is that reviews should concentrate on the facts and functionality, and let the reader/viewer decide how much they're willing to pay for it.

OK. Here's what I think happened. I'm not saying I'm correct, but the explanation certainly fits the facts.

The review is short, fluffy and has no depth. Now, assuming that that was the kind of review they wanted to write, surely it's reasonable to base the review on the supplied documentation, after all, that's all that Joe User is going to get.

So, they don't see anything new about the way it works - they see the Empeg as just a PJB (for example) for the dashboard. If that is the case, then judging the unit purely on price would, to them, be reasonable. If all the Empeg is perceived to do is done by something else and the only obviously differentiating factor is the price, then price it shall be judged on.

Obviously I'm assuming a lot here, but my original point stands. The documentation could really do with a really snazzy sales section - "Your Empeg is completely unique - it's the only machine which can do X, Y and Z (oh, and A to W too)." and then go on to explain each of these functions in full.

I bought a stereo. It was a simple minidisc/cd/tuner affair. The instruction manual was full A4 and was twice as thick as the Empeg manual (actually, it is about 8 times thicker, but is in four languages). That's 4 times the content, and that was for something as simple as a normal everyday run of the mill household stereo.

Now, I know I have a habit of not explaining myself and consequently being misunderstood on this board, so I'll say this now. I'm not complaining, I'm not angry and I'm not having a go at anybody. It's just that I try (yeah, yeah, I know I'm not always successful) not to cast stones. If the Empeg has been misunderstood, then my first question would be "What have I done to make it be misunderstood". My second would be "What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again".

Maybe there's a case for the people here to write up some docs for the Empeg too, or am I the only person who thinks this way (say so now and I'll shutup).

Cheers,

Nick.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)