all the scorpions would get displaced from the woods they were clearing and kept invading homes in the area. We'd find 2-3 a week for months

I've heard stories about subdivisions built in former scorpion habitats. Apparently it takes quite some time (a year perhaps?) before people stop seeing scorpions appearing in their houses.

In a related note, once upon a time, I worked in a 10-story office building which had recently been built in the middle of nowhere atop a wooded hill. It turns out that this was the major local cricket breeding habitat. Every spring, for about a week, millions of crickets would carpet the parking lot and swarm up the side of the building to the second or third floor. Hundreds of crickets covered the marble lobby floor. The parking lot seemed to be alive and moving. As you drove out you could hear the disgusting sound of many crickets crunching under your wheels.
And the smell! Do you know what large numbers of squashed crickets smell like? It ain't pretty.

Then, within a week, they would all vanish, not to be seen again until the next year.

Let the swarming insect stories begin. I'm sure my story has nothing on the Aussies. Not to mention the ocean of rats they had down there one time. Disgusting.