Guess I could share my bear story.

I am (or was, it’s been entirely too long since I've been on the trail) an avid backpacker. Well about 3-4 years ago I was hiking through the Shenandoah Valley with some friends. It was the middle of the day in the middle of the hike and my mind was wandering. I was out in front, but was looking fairly downwards deep in thought. Suddenly the person behind me (behind by about 30 feet) says that calm controlled voice that tells you something is very wrong "Marcus, STOP"

I look up. Well somebody else looked up too. A black bear 30 feet ahead of me going the opposite direction on the trail (towards me) He seemed to have been paying as much attention to his surroundings as I had been.

Now I’ve been in the woods plenty, and I’ve seen my share of bears (we saw about 10 total that week). But most of those were from more than 30 feet away. Fortunately I kept my cool. I kept an eye on him but didn’t look him in the eye.

Well he seemed to know what the deal was, he picked himself up and sauntered off the trail about 50 feet, sat down, posed for a few pictures, and let us go on by. After we passed he hopped right back on the trail and kept on going.

I think maybe he is used to backpackers.