Heh. That reminds me of a backpacking trip I did up near Sault Ste. Marie. We parked at the lot around noon, and had PB&J before setting off down the trail. It was only a couple miles to the site, so we got there quick, and set up camp before wandering off to explore the 'hood. After a bit, I heard some mention of there being a big dog wandering around in our campsite. There were a couple other people around other than my group, so we went back to see if the dog was theirs. It wasn't. In fact, it wasn't even a dog. It was a black bear. It had ripped the back from one of the tents, snuffling for food. So we threw rocks at it. I beaned it in the noggin with a fist sized rock. I was pretty pleased with that, as I'm a pretty lousy shot. Maybe that wasn't the best of things to do, but since we all lived, it makes for a good story. Anyway, the bear stood up -- it was about 6' tall -- sniffed for a bit, then wandered off.

We packed up in a hurry, and hiked out to spend the night in a state park. When we got back to the cars, one of the cars had the rear spoiler and some trim laying on the roof. Under one of the wipers was a note that said "There was a bear jumping up and down on the roof ." along with contact info in case it was needed for insurance.

We pitched camp in the dark at the state park campground. In the morning, we discovered that the rangers had been chasing a bear around in the park for most of the night.