actually , if the average mp3 is 4 megs.. 4GB holds 1000 songs. Which if the average CD is 14 tracks. That is 71 Redbook audio format CD's

Even cd burned with mp3s holds roughly 162 songs if your burning is spot on. That's about 6 cd. They do have fast burning machines , but the process still craps out. You still dont have any control what order you play it in other than random or linear.

Lets face it.. Firmware is in. You can't upgrade these things in terms of storage or compatibility with new formats or features. It's a lot of the intangibles that make the Empeg rock over any other product out.

In terms of comparing CD based mp3 players. It for a different market. My cousin would love that as his first step. For me , i already divorced myself from CD's a while back. So to go back to lugging CD's around would be a pain. Keeping a copy down in the car and in the house was a big pain. CD's get scratched and they tend to skip when u hit a good bump. My Empeg doesn't do that.

I like to revisit the old arguments , but for me , CD has been dead for 2 years now.

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com